The NewHartfordPlus Crew
The NewHartfordPlus crew members ~ at this point comprising of Maria and Bob Moore ~ are New Hartford residents who volunteer their time to report for NewHartfordPlus. We do this because we recognize the community-building potential of an independent, locally-run news medium. Our reporting brings focused coverage of local news and events to the New Hartford community. NewHartfordPlus has been in operation since January of 2009 and continues to grow and evolve. We are more convinced than ever of the value of an independent news source and happy that we have been able to participate in the life on our community through our written reporting, photography and video recordings.
Who we are:
- Maria Moore: Maria saw the need for an unaffiliated news medium that could focus its efforts on our New Hartford community. She is the editor, main reporter and main photographer for NewHartfordPlus. Maria has worked in education, financial services, journalism (as a reporter, editor, and page layout/design technician), and always in the background, in social services. She currently works with autistic young men in a group home setting which prepares them to live and work independently in our communities.
- Bob Moore: Bob provides technical support for NewHartfordPlus. He set up the website and he continues to work on it to enhance its user-friendliness. Bob is constantly on the lookout for new ways to improve the readers’ experience on NewHartfordPlus. Bob works as an estimator at an international airport lighting company.
NewHartfordPlus also has many friends who share their expertise with us as the need arises. We thank them for their availability and sage counsel.
Our heartfelt thanks to the Recreation Commission members who tend to our community’s recreational needs and to our parks, and also to our volunteers. Among the organizations and individuals they recognized at their Volunteer Recognition evening several months after we started reporting was our editor, Maria Moore, on behalf of NewHartfordPlus. Their plaque is displayed in our editor’s office, providing inspiration and affirmation as needed. Thank You!
Principles of Journalism:
We use as our guidelines for our journalistic efforts the Principles of Journalism as expressed by the Pew Research Center’s Project for Excellence in Journalism. They are as follows:
- Journalism’s first obligation is to the truth;
- It’s first loyalty is to citizens;
- Its essence is a discipline of verification;
- Its practitioners must maintain an independence from those they cover;
- It must serve as an independent monitor of power;
- It must provide a forum for public criticism and compromise;
- It must strive to make the significant interesting and relevant;
- It must keep the news comprehensive and proportional;
- Its practioners must be allowed to exercise their personal conscience.