By: Maria Moore
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to win a ribbon for your prized vegetable crop or for your secret salsa? Well, here’s your opportunity to find out: Our local Eureka Grange # 62 will be holding a number of competitions during its Agricultural & Homemakers’ Fair held as part of New Hartford Day on Sunday, September 19.
The 7-page packet includes the following information:
- Rules For Exhibits and Competitions, with competitions in the following departments:
- Department A: Fruits, Vegetables and Herbs: too many to list ~ see info. sheet;
- Department B: Bread and Pastry (NO COMMERCIAL MIXES): Â Breads and Rolls, Quick Breads, Cookies, Cakes (Unfrosted), Cakes (Frosted); Muffins, Pies;
- Department C: Sewing, Needlework and Crafts: Sewing, Crocheting; Knitting, Crewel, Embroidery, Needlepoint, Latch Hook, Weaving, Liquid Embroidery, Crafts and Hobbies;
- Department D: Photography ~ categories Black & White, Color and Snapshot;
- Department E: Flowers: Specimen (single flower), Collection (3 stems), Arrangements.
- Department F: Canning: Jams, Pickles, Vegetables, Salsas, Jellies, Fruit, Relish, Miscellaneous (honey, etc.).
- Special Contest for Juniors: Painted Pumpkin.
- Entry blanks.
- Information on Joining the Grange.
To download the complete information package click on the following link: 39th Annual Eureka Grange, # 62, Agricultural Fair (15).
So what are you waiting for? Head for your garden, your kitchen or your camera and enter your best creation in the competition of your choice ~ and you may just bring home a ribbon. Now how cool would that be?
A few important notes about your entry:
- You don’t need to be a member of the Grange to exhibit your articles.
- Each department has a Junior Division (under age 14) as well as an Adult Division, indicate on Entry Blank if Junior and if so give age.
- All exhibitors must have their articles ready for inspection by 9:00 a.m. Sunday morning, September 16, 2012.
- All judged items must stay on display until 4:00 p.m.
- Only one entry per person per class will be judged.
- No article shall receive a ribbon unless deemed worthy by the judges!
Please read the complete 7-page packet to be sure that you are complying with all Grange rules.