Text & Photos: Maria Moore
With the temperature well into the 90s on Friday afternoon, I hung up a “Gone Shopping” sign on NewHartfordPlus and headed for the New Hartford Farmers’ Market where I planned to do my weekend shopping. With a mango Italian ice in hand from guest vendor Chet’s Italian Ice I made my leasurely rounds: A stop at Gina’s Beckwith Brook Farms, followed by Anita’s Barden Farm, and a visit with Maggie of MarWin Farm and then on to Wendy’s Planted Feather and I was done. In less then an hour I’d bought just about everything we’d need for our weekend’s meals and I’d visited with some of New Hartford’s best growers and customers.
Here’s what’s on the NewHartfordPlus crew’s menu for Sunday dinner:
- Dill and onion bread from Planted Feather;
- Goat cheese with herbes de Provence from Sweet Pea Farm;
- Cornish game hen from MarWin Farm (processed that very day!);
- Green beans, tomatoes and cucumbers from Barden Farm;
- And for dessert, a dish of mango, strawberry and coconut Italian ice with fresh peaches.
And the garlic from Beckwith Brook Farm? We can find a use for garlic in every meal – especially when it’s a hot Spaniard garlic – or should that be “Spanish,” Gina?
A gourmet meal made with fresh, local ingredients and at less than half the price of eating out. We give thanks to our local farmers for making our Sunday meal so special – and to Chet’s for braving the heat and helping to make Friday’s New Hartford Farmers’ Market the cool place to be.