Following are the Calendar listings for this weekend, Saturday, April 10 and Sunday, April 11 in New Hartford, CT:
Saturday, April 10, 2010:
- Home and Business Expo: from 10:00 a.m. through 5:00 p.m. at the Torrington Armory, 153 South Main Street, Torrington.
- PACE Solar House Tour of the Schaller Eco House: from 12:00 noon to 4:00 p.m. Tickets: $15 per person through PACE. For tickets please call: 860-623-5487. The Schallers have been inundated with reporters wanting to write articles about their home, so we decided not to bother them again but to direct you Karann’s Eco Home blog where you’ll find a link to the best photo ever of a urinal taken by a Republican American photographer… You can also read our article on the Schaller’s Work-In-Progress House Tour on July 11, 2009.
- Kayaking 101: at 1:00 p.m. at the White Memorial Conservation Center. Basic indoor class for people who are interested in becoming involved in recreational kayaking by Dave and Cheryl Faber, CT Outdoors, LLC. Class size is limited! Members: $6.00; Non-members: $10.00. Class is being held in the Ceder Room, White Memorial Conservation Center, 80 Whitehall Road, Litchfield. For more information, please visit the Calendar section of the conservation center’s website.
- Woodcock Cocktail Party: at 6:00 p.m. at the White Memorial Conservation Center. You will be introduced to this comical bird over snacks and non alcoholic drinks: hear about the habitat and natural history then head out in search of the Woodcock’s extraordinary mating display. Class size is limited; please call 860-567-0857 to pre-register. Ages 10 and up. In the Ceder Room at White Memorial Conservation Center, 80 Whitehall Road, Litchfield. For more information, please visit the Calendar section of the conservation center’s website.
- Nights at the Beekley: Wendy Waldman: at 7:30 p.m. at the Beekley Library, 10 Central Avenue, New Hartford. Cheese and wine reception at 7:00 p.m. Admissions: $25; tickets available from the library or at the concert. For more information see our April 9 article Wendy Waldman ~ Singer/Songwriter to the Stars ~ Plays The Beekley… or see the Nights at the Beekley section on the Beekley Library website.
- The Frank Vignola Trio at Roaring Brook: at 7:30 p.m. at Roaring Brook, Gracey Road, Canton. “Guitar virtuosity at itâ€™s highest level, a must hear.” said djangoblog.com and when polled by The Wall Street Journal, Les Paul cited Frank Vignola on his “list of five most admired guitarists of all time.” Tickets: $20 at the door. For more information please visit the Concerts section of the Roaring Brook website.
Sunday, April 11, 2010:
- Visit your favorite Church, Temple, Meditation Center or Meeting House: Be sure to make time today to visit your favorite church, temple, meditation center or meeting house for good fellowship and spiritual uplifting. For specific information about times of worship or meditation, please check out the list of links in our Houses of Worship tab in the sidebar on our front page.
- Antiques & Collectible Show: sponsored by Simsbury Civitan from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. at the Master’s School, 36 Westledge Road
West Simsbury. Looking for that special item? Be sure to check out the Antiques & Collectible Show sponsored by the Simsbury Civitan organization. The show will feature 60 exhibitors offering an array of treasures including glass, pottery, furniture, prints, paintings, jewelry, textile and much more. Admission: $6, $5 with printable ad which includes information on the show.
- Home and Business Expo: from 10:00 a.m. through 4:00 p.m. at the Torrington Armory, 153 South Main Street, Torrington.
- Lighthouse Lecture and Tour sponsored by the Barkhamsted Historical Society: by Archaeologist, Dr. Kenny Fedor at 1:30 p.m. at the Squire’s Tavern, 100 East River Road, Barkhamsted. After the lecture, he will give a guided tour of the Barkhamsted Lighthouse Archaeological Preserve site to show the foundations, cemetery, and gravestones. Kenny is a fascinating speaker and enthusiastic archaeologist. Seating is limited, reservations are recommended for the lecture; donation is $5. Call Sharon Lynes for more information: 860-379-7362. For more information about the Squire’s Tavern, please visit the Squire’s Tavern section of the Barkhamsted Historical Society.
- North Congregational Church hosts the Farmington Valley Band: at 3:00 p.m. at the North Congregational Church, 17 Church Street North, New Hartford. A wide array of music will be played including: Classical ~ movie themes ~ old time tunes ~ marches ~ swing ~ vocal. Refreshments will be available. Donations requested. For more information about the church, please visit the North Congregational Church’s website.